Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers and Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford meet at midfield after Sunday night's game at Lambeau Field. Evan Siegle/Press-Gazette Media
Rants and raves from Sunday night's game between the Green Bay Packers and the Detroit Lions at Lambeau Field. The Packers won 27-20.
• Rave: The Packers’ victory over the Lions was their 11th straight against a division opponent, the longest current streak in the NFL and an extension of their franchise record. Mike McCarthy improved to 13-1 against the Lions all-time, and the Packers have won 22 straight home games vs. Detroit dating to 1991. McCarthy is 18-3 vs. division opponents at home.
• Rant: Officials assessed a personal foul penalty against Morgan Burnett in the third quarter for taking a shot to the head of Lions receiver Calvin Johnson. The only problem was replays showed Johnson ducked and Burnett never hit his head.
• Rave: Offensive lineman Don Barclay was Donny on the spot when he recovered an Alex Green fumble on the Packers’ second play of the third quarter. The Packers went on to score a touchdown.
• Rant: Aaron Rodgers stepped into a third-down, Nick Fairley 7-yard sack loss late in the third quarter, forcing Mason Crosby to attempt a 51-yard field goal, which he missed wide left.
• Rave: Sam Shields returned to action after missing six games with an ankle injury and put his speed on display on kickoff coverage in the second quarter when he ran down the Lions’ Stefan Logan, who was attempting to break outside for a big gain. Later in the quarter Shields intercepted a badly underthrown Stafford pass that was intended for Kris Durham. The Lions were driving, and the turnover prevented them from adding to their 14-10 lead.
• Rant: A pair of first-half penalties on Josh Sitton drew boos from the crowd directed at the officials, but both the holding and false start calls appeared legitimate and contributed to stalled Packers’ drives.
• Rave: There’s something quaint about playing football in the snow at Lambeau Field in December. It never gets old.
• Rant: On the Lions’ second possession, they drove 79 yards in 11 plays for a touchdown and took a 14-0 lead early in the second quarter. The Packers defense offered little resistance, with Kris Durham burning Davon House on a 27-yard reception and Tony Scheffler catching an uncontested 3-yard touchdown pass on a slant.
• Rave: Crosby drilled a 49-yard field goal in the snow and wind to put the Packers on the board early in the second quarter. He added a 41-yarder with 4:02 remaining to give the Packers a 10-point lead.
• Rant: Turnovers in the red zone are killers. On second and 10 from the Lions’ 12 in the first quarter, Rodgers was hit hard by a blindside sack from Lions defensive end Lawrence Jackson, who forced a fumble that was recovered by Stephen Tulloch.
• Rave: On the Packers’ first play from scrimmage DuJuan Harris took the ball around right end for an 11-yard gain and bowled over Lions safety Ricardo Silva in the process. It was Harris’ first rush in a Packers uniform, and he made it count. Harris scored his first NFL touchdown on a 14-yard run in the fourth quarter.
• Rant: The Lions took the opening kickoff and drove 80 yards in 12 plays for a touchdown. They were helped out along the way by a pair of Dezman Moses offside penalties, in addition to a 22-yard reverse by Mike Thomas in which Frank Zombo was taken out of the play on a block by Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford.