Houses on West 14th Street ? originally known as Bakerville Road.
West 14th Street is one of several streets in town that have had more than one name.
Early in Marshfield's history it was known as Bakerville Road, then in the 20th Century it became West 14th Street.
Today, we are taking a look at the south side of the first block west of Central Avenue. Three of the four houses on the south side of the 100 block of West 14th date to 1900 or earlier. All the homes are located in the Perko Heights Subdivision, and no, I have no idea where the name came from.
The story-and-a-half home at 108 W. 14th St. was built in 1896. It contains 924 square feet and has three bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen plus a full bathroom. The home has two porches and a 576-square-foot garage built in 1977.
Next door at 110 W. 14th St. is a home built in 1900. It is also a story-and-a-half and is quite similar in appearance to the first home but is a little more than 200 square feet larger. It contains seven rooms, of which there are four bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen plus a full bathroom. It also has two porches and a deck as well. The 352-square-foot garage was built in 1980.
At 112 W. 14th St. is a home built in 1885. This one story home of 630 square feet has three rooms - a bedroom, kitchen and living room plus a full bathroom. It also has a 72-square-foot porch.
The last single family home on the south side of the street is at 114 W. 14th St. It also was built in 1885. It is a story-and-a-half home and is slightly larger at 819 square feet. It contains five rooms, three bedrooms, a kitchen, a living room and a full bathroom. The first floor is 468 square feet and the second floor is 351 square feet.
The last building is at 204 W.14th St. It is an apartment complex containing five units and 17 rooms. It was built in 1900 and moved to this site in 1948.
The first floor contains two units. The first has a kitchen, dining room, living room, two bedrooms and a full bath. The second unit is almost identical to the first but has a dinette off the kitchen rather than a separate dining room. It also has just one bedroom and a full bath.
The second floor contains three units. One unit has a kitchen with a dinette, a living room, one bedroom and a full bath. The other two have a kitchen, dinette, living room all in the same room, a bedroom and a full bath.
The top floor has a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchen, living room and a full bath.
There is also a five unit garage built in 1948, which has an attic area for storage.
Ken Wood is a member of the Marshfield Historic Preservation Committee and on the board of directors for the North Wood County Historical Society. Write to him at email@example.com.