Using center pivots to dispose of raw, untreated liquid manure is a reckless and dangerous practice.
Here are the reasons why:
1. The cornerstone of good public health practice is to create a barrier between people and any raw, untreated manure, whether it be animal or human.
2. There are more than 150 pathogens, including MRSA, in raw, untreated animal manure, whether it be dairy, swine or poultry manure.
3. At any given time in our population, 20 percent of the people are significantly susceptible to these pathogens. By significantly susceptible, I mean, they can become ill and die.
4. MRSA is a bacterial infection untreatable by antibiotics and extremely deadly. This is so because the bacteria causing it are antibiotic resistant.
5. Any person on chemotherapy is highly susceptible to become ill or die.
6. It is morally reprehensible to implement a practice that puts neighbors and others in harm's way.
7. There are hundreds of studies available for review by any concerned or interested citizen that document what I have stated above.
Margeret L. Pulera, M.D.