Author's note: A continuation of columns looking at saloons and businesses in 1904 Marshfield.
Continuing our way south on the east side of Central Avenue, we come to Rembs and Sturm Furniture, Undertaking and Embalming at 301-303. Peter J. Specht's saloon is listed at the same address. Also in the building is Oscar R. Lang, barbershop, and M. Dunn, optician. (Present day address and/or business identification: Thiel Building-Auction House)
Helmuth Koenig operated a grocery store at 305 (307 Evolve Salon) and Charles Schmirler's Boot and Shoe Store was at 307, with Dr. Harry Burns, physician and surgeon on the second floor (315 vacant).
At 309-311 was Charles Sheerin Hardware and Stoves (321 Marshfield Muscle and Fitness). Solomon Shapiro's Boot and Shoe Store was at 313 (327 Stampin' and Scrappin' Fun). At 315 was George Kohl's Saloon (331 331 Shoes) with the Farmer's Home Saloon of Chris Dorpat next door at 317 (337 Sherwin Williams Paint Store). At 319 was William Little's Grocery (also at 337).
321 was a vacant lot in 1904 (343 John Keel Photography), and a shed stood at 323 (345 Rae Baxter's). Herman Wasserberger had his harness shop at 325, and in the same building, on the corner at 327, was Peter Dickoff's Saloon (355 Janet's Yarn and Craft Shop).
The "Marshfield Story Volume 1," available at the Marshfield Public Library, has an interesting story about Peter Dickoff. In 1898, he left for the Alaskan Gold Rush, and the saloon was run by his family. He returned with many great stories but no gold and ran the saloon until his death in 1917. It then became the Farmer's Economy Store until Weber's replaced the building with the present structure.
On the west side of Central in 1904, at the corner with West Third Street, was the Gerth Brothers Savings Bank Store at 300 and Thomas Soles City Meat Market at 302. 304 was a vacant lot on Central but had a large structure, probably a home, near the alley.
Henry Icke's Tailor Shop was at 306, and Fred Jahnke Jr.'s Saloon was at 310. I could not come up with the name of a business in a small structure at 312, which was listed on the fire maps as only "ven'd".
At 314 was a business selling creamery supplies with Mrs. Joseph Donhard's Sewing Machine and Musical Instrument shop sharing the building. At 316 was Jesse H. Harvey's Bakery, Confectionary and Restaurant, with the bake oven at the rear of the property near the alley.
At 318, in the southern half of the building, was Mrs. John Kohl and her daughters Anna and Clara's Millinery Shop. In 1921, it became Kohl's Style Shop, an exclusive women's apparel shop.
At 320 was Robert Leiteritz's Saloon, and at 324 was a barber shop. On the corner at 326 was a bicycle shop. On the west side of Fourth Street, just west of the alley, was John Hoelz's Cigar Factory. Today all of these businesses have been replaced by the BMO Harris Bank.
Moving back to the east side of Central south of East Fourth Street, we find George Seubert's Saloon at 401 (401-Kandy Girl). It shared the building with a meat market at 403 (405 vacant).
At 405 was William Springborn's Saloon, followed by a dwelling at 407, a vacant lot at 409 and dwellings at 414 and 415. This entire area is now covered by Rogers Cinema and the office for Marshfield Monument.
Next, at 417, came Marshfield Granite Works (AKA Marshfield Marble Works), which is still in operation there today at 421 and 435.
There were two buildings between the granite works and East Fifth Street. Today, these lots are occupied by the Marshfield Family Restaurant, John E. Charron, tax and Accounting and Wiggles and Wags Pet Grooming.
Crossing the street, we find that there were no saloons on the west side of Central Avenue in the 400 block. On the corner was an office building, the Connor Building, which now sits to the west across the alley (400 Circle the Date).
At 406 was a vacant lot, which is a parking lot today. 410 was a furniture repair shop (414 Book World), then at 412 was a vacant building (426-428).
At 416 was a blacksmith shop (434 Elixer), at 420 was a dwelling (444 Shockwave Video and 450 The Senior Craft Shop). 426 was a general store (454 La Guadalupana).
This brings us to Fifth Street and a future column.