The passenger ferry to Washington Island approaches the Gills Rock landing in this painted photo postcard from the early 1950s.
75 Years Ago: 1938
? A widespread search over Door County for Mrs. Earl S. Berendsen, 29, of Green Bay, missing from her home since last week Wednesday. Her body was later found near Duck Creek, just outside of Green Bay, and was ruled a suicide.
? A Washington dispatch reports that among appropriations recommended for Coast Guard station improvements this coming fall is one of $80,000 for a new boathouse and pier at Plum Island.
? J.C. Weitermann announced at the monthly meeting of the Door County Safety Council that schoolboy safety patrols will be established in the local schools at the beginning of the next term.
? The palatial Georgian Bay Line steamer North America will stop at this port at 1 p.m. next Sunday, long enough for passengers to take a sightseeing trip of Sturgeon Bay and vicinity.
? Fire believed caused by a defective chimney did $500 damage to the farmhouse of Oswald Kalms on County E in the town of Baileys Harbor before the fire department reached the scene.
? P.D. Hale is the new president of the Sturgeon Bay Lions Club. O.J. Hoffman is the new commander of the Archie Lackshire Post 72 of the American Legion.
? A city the size of Sturgeon Bay and located as it is should have several parks, and development of a new park in Sawyer across the street from the bathing beach is a worthy movement. The property was acquired several years ago for park purposes but nothing was done to improve it along that line. Fortunately citizens in the area have taken it upon themselves to clean up and fix up the property making it the perfect location for a city park.
? Lincoln Wickman of Sturgeon Bay was one of the graduates of Lawrence College Monday.
? John W. Schultz, 67, farmer and stone quarry employee at Egg Harbor for many years died Sunday evening.
? Deaths: Alfred Ahrens, 34, Baileys Harbor.
? Births: sons to Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert Robillard, Sturgeon Bay, June 15; M/M Lawrence Braun, Sawyer, June 14; M/M Leroy Sanborn, Baileys Harbor, June 12; daughters to Mr. and Mrs. Harold Polocheck, Little Sturgeon, June 13; M/M Herman Neinas, Brussels, June 12; M/M Raymond Kurth, Egg Harbor, June 9.
? In a double wedding ceremony at the Ephraim Moravian Church, Saturday, Miss Helen Mabelle Hoeppner became the bride of William Carl Sohns and her sister Miss Priscilla Ida Hoeppner wed Roy Theodore Schoeneich.
? Licensed to wed: Wilfred Schmidt, Algoma, and Doris Hitt, Sturgeon Bay, June 21; Ralph Alexander, Forestville, and Frances Ploor, Sawyer, June 21; Stanley Burnell and Hazel Pleck, Baileys Harbor, June 16; Francis Jacques, Milwaukee, and Anna Haberli, Sturgeon Bay, June 25.
100 Years Ago: 1913
? A severe electrical storm passed over this region last night about 1 o'clock and a perfect deluge of rain fell. The thunder and lightning was terrific. The storm seemed to be worse to the south of us and several fires resulted. One of those was a new large barn owned by August Kumm, a mile east of Forestville.
? There will be a big dance at Paul's Hall on the night of the 3rd of July and a rattling good time is guaranteed all who attend.
? Although the temperatures were over 90 degrees the circus was hugely enjoyed by everyone and all of those in attendance seemed well pleased.
? Deaths: Mrs. Hannah Erdmann, 90, Nasewaupee: Ephraim C. Daniels, 78, one of Sevastopol's first settlers, Pasadena, Calif.; V.S. Garrett, 52, Detroit Harbor; August Tedke, 53, Jacksonport.
? Births: sons to Mr. and Mrs. Ervin Allee, Sturgeon Bay; M/M John Conlon, Sturgeon Bay, June 12; daughters to John Backey, West Side; M/M Exor Desjardine, Jacksonport.
? Wed: Joseph Zettel and Anna Seidl, Brussels.
? Licensed to wed: John C. Benzow Jr., Sturgeon Bay, and Lillian Simonar, Egg Harbor; Em. Spaid and Mary Tenor, Nasewaupee; William Schultz and Mary Abrahamson, Baileys Harbor; Jesse E. Lewis, Albany, N.Y., and Flora Templeton, Clay Banks; Henry Wilson and Lucy Toft, Egg Harbor; William John May and Mary Mohr, Nasewaupee; Joachim Jungwirth and Mary Koessel, Sturgeon Bay; Alex Mitz, Clay Banks, and Rebecca Halverson, Vignes.
125 Years Ago: 1888
? The Sturgeon Bay Brewing Co. continues to make improvements about its premises, the latest being the widening and grading of the roadway leading to the brewery from the main road.
? The Democrats are making extensive preparations for inaugurating the presidential campaign. A demonstration will be held this evening during which a parade and torchlight procession takes place, followed by a dance at the opera hall.
? On Sunday morning Ben Otis, who is employed on the farm of A.W. Lawrence, discovered the body of a woman lying in the highway near the former premises. She remained unknown until the medical examiner discovered that it was the body of his mother-in-law. To his knowledge she had returned home with her husband. When his father-in-law could not be located, some fear was expressed regarding his condition. He was discovered at home and explained that his wife, Mrs. Gillespie, had jumped from the buggy when the horse became unmanageable. As she had done that before he assumed she had safely returned to the city and spent the night with their daughter. When the truth was discovered, he was beside himself in grief.
? Between one and two o'clock Thursday afternoon, the upper mill sounded the fire alarm. It was discovered that the long low building that was used for storing hardwood was on fire and that it would be hard work to contain the fire during gale-like winds that whipped the flames. Thanks to the vigilance and hard work of the men fighting the fire, the residences in the vicinity were saved from destruction, but the shed was a total loss.
? Four head of cattle, belonging to Rudolph Zettel of Sevastopol, disappeared from the premises some weeks go, and although every effort was made to discover their whereabouts, it was until a few weeks later that it was discovered that the four missing cattle had all drowned in a swamp near the farm.
? For the first time in many years there are no forest fires raging in this county and vicinity this spring.
? Deaths: George E. Bassford, 29, Sevastopol; Mrs. D.C. Vaughn, no age listed, Cherokee, Kan.
150 Years Ago: 1863
? An alarm of fire was given about half past 11, Sunday evening. The alarm was for the Cedar Street house occupied by David Houle as a hotel. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished without doing much damage.
? On the west side of the bay, Schjoth's Ferry and Store is in full blast. Our readers on that side of the bay will find that Schjoth anticipates all their wants and sells goods as cheap as anyone can desire.
? The steamboat Queen City arrived on Friday evening last, landed freight and passengers, and sailed again the same evening for Oconto.
? The hotel at Fish Creek has changed hands, being now under the management of R.M. Beach. The traveling public will find the hotel to be one of the best hotels in this part of the state.
? Peterson's store is now the center of attraction. Almost every steamer brings him new goods, and his store is overflowing with a general assortment of everything needed for the family.
? While we go to press the fate of Vicksburg is undecided, but whatever that fate may be, the sturdy and splendid prowess of the Western soldiers who have fought for a month in the very heart of the rebellion will be one of most glorious traditions of the war.