Moving on to the 1940s, we find that by 1949, Marshfield has 32 taverns within the city. Many are the same as in 1939, but a few have changed names or have been added to the city.
Let's start east of Central. At 110 E. First St. is still the Last Pointe, now the site of the Royal Tokyo. Still located at 504 E. Fourth St. is Frank's Bar, which is now Brown's Bar, and further east, at 1214 E. Fourth, is Ralph Hubbard's Edgetown Tavern. The Palm Gardens is still located in the basement of the Adler Opera House at 107B E. Second St. Located at McMillan Street and North Central Avenue is the Lite Club.
Now we go back to Central Avenue at the railroad tracks and head north. At 101 N. Central is Fred's Old Time Tavern, located at what is now the area of the Kwik Trip gas station. At 201, Mike and Pete's Bar has become Pete's Bar. Today it is the vacant lot on the corner north of St. Vincent's where the garden is in the summer. At 301 is the Northside Bar, today Kathleen's Place. At 305 is Bey's Bar, which is still there with the same name. At 317 is Ed Kuehl's Bar, today known as Jack's Bar.
Joseph Rebsteck still is located at 400 N. Central, today known as T Bone's. At 500 N. Central is Minnie and Swick's Bar, now the Spot Sports Bar and Grill. At 1708 is Biechler's Bar.
Going back to the tracks, we head south on Central Avenue. First we find the Thomas House. At 107 is the Mint, today the Uptown Bar. At 136 is Nig's Red Arrow, now Mr. G's Saloon. Eddies' Midway is located at 141 S. Central, the Senate Bar is located at 147, and the El Sombrero Cocktail Lounge is located in the Hotel Charles at 168 S. Central.
There are no bars in the 200 or 300 blocks of South Central Avenue, so our next bar is at 401 S. Central, the Central Tavern, which is today Kandy Girl. At 409 is the Spot Bar, now covered by the Roger's Cinema building. Across the street on the northwest corner of Fifth and Central was Les' Bar at 454 S. Central. Today it is the La Guadalupiana Grocery Store.
Back on the east side of South Central we find Bing's Bar at 501, today Crabby Dave's. The Derby Bar is at 511, now the Swamp, and the Ten Pin Tap is located at 546, on the west side of the street. Today it is the area of Heinzen's Printing.
At 731 S. Central was the Montreal Hotel Tavern, and across the street at 750 was the Luis Hotel Bar.
At 801 S. Central was Flasch Tavern, now Nutz Deep II. At 1212 was Wall's Bar, now the Southway Pub and Grub. At 1302 S. Central was the Round Up Bar, today the Store gas station and the Subway Shop.
Off of Central, we also find Floyd's Bar at 600 W. Blodgett. Today it is the Neighborhood Bar. At 113 W. Depot was the Union Bar.
On Second Street were two taverns, Varney's Bar at 120 and across the street was Don's Bat at 121 W. Second St. Today these are both parking lots on the corner of West Second and South Chestnut. There also was the Colonial Inn at 1405 Richfield Road, now South Maple Street. It is on the southeast corner of 14th Street and South Maple.
Next time we will go back to the 1950s, the age of rock 'n' roll, Elvis and 35 bars in and around Marshfield.