Only one 2019 opponent has a winning record against Green Bay Packers
GREEN BAY – Only one opponent on Green Bay's 2019 schedule has a winning record against the Packers, who have a 54 percent all-time winning percentage against their 13 opponents.
Only the Denver Broncos and the Kansas City Chiefs won more games against the Packers than they lost at the start of the season, but the Packers defeated the Broncos 27-16 on Sept. 22, tying that all-time series.
That means nothing when the teams get on the field this season, of course, but it does show how dominating the Packers have been as they play their 101st year of football. The Packers in that time won 13 NFL championships, the most of any team in the league, but they are coming off two losing seasons and have a new head coach for the first time in 14 years.
They are off to a 6-1 start and continue their domination against opponents on the 2019 schedule.
He are the all-time records against the teams on the 2019 schedule, how the Packers did the last time they played each team, and some highlights from previous meetings.
- First of 199 games, Nov. 27, 1921.
- Packers lead series 98-95-6.
- Last year: Packers won 24-23; Bears won 24-17.
- This year: The Packers won 10-3 on Sept. 5; and Dec. 15
Notable games: There are a lot, but last year's season opener, when Aaron Rodgers led a 24-point second-half comeback for a 24-23 Packers victory, ranks among the best.
Like Brett Favre, Rodgers has had some of his best games against the Bears, including on Nov. 9, 2014, when he tied his own and Matt Flynn's record of six touchdown passes in a 55-14 Packers romp.
The Packers defeated the Bears 10-3 on Sept. 5, 2019. It was an ugly game by all accounts, but provided new head coach Matt LaFleur a victory in his first game after replacing Mike McCarthy (by way of interim coach Joe Philbin). For what it's worth, Vince Lombardi's first game was a 9-6 win over the Bears.
- First of 118 games, Oct. 22, 1961.
- Packers lead series 61-54-3.
- Last year: 29-29 tie and 24-17 Vikings victory.
- This year: Packers won 21-16 on Sept. 15, and Dec. 23
Notable games: The Packers welcomed the Vikings to the NFL with a 33-7 drubbing in 1961 and the teams and their fans have hated one another since.
Of course, there is no forgetting 2009, when Brett Favre played quarterback for the Vikings, throwing seven touchdowns and no interceptions against the Packers and defeating them twice; or Oct. 15, 2017, when Vikings linebacker Anthony Barr broke Aaron Rodgers' collarbone, ending the Packers' playoff hopes after a 4-1 start.
- Firstof 15 games was Sept. 26, 1971.
- Series is tied 7-7-1.
- Last time they played: Nov. 1, 2015, Broncos won 29-10 in Denver.
- This year: Packers won 27-16 on Sept. 22
Notable games: The one that hurts. The Packers lost Super Bowl XXXII on Jan. 21, 1998. Packers President Bob Harlan said the 31-24 loss was terrible. "I kept thinking it was us last year and it should be us today," he wrote in his memoir.
Ahman Green set the team's single-game rushing record of 218 yards on Dec. 28, 2003, in a 31-3 Packers victory at Lambeau Field.
- First of 44 games on Oct. 29, 1933.
- Packers lead series 27-17-0.
- Last time they played: Packers won 27-13 on Nov. 28, 2016, at Philadelphia.
- This year: Eagles won 34-27 on Sept. 26
Notable games: The Packers lost the NFC championship game to the Eagles on the day after Christmas in 1960. Vince Lombardi vowed it would be the last time the Packers lost a championship game under his watch. It was.
The NFC divisional playoff game on Jan. 11, 2004. The Packers were winning 17-14 with 1:12 left. Eagles had 4th and 26 with no timeouts. The Eagles got the first down, tied the game and won in overtime. Fourth and 26 haunts Packers fans to this day.
- First of 37 games on Nov. 13, 1960.
- Packers lead series 20-17-0.
- Last time they played: Packers won 35-31 on Oct. 8. 2017, in Dallas.
- This year: Packers won 34-24 on Oct. 6
Notable game: The Ice Bowl on Dec. 31, 1967, is the most notable game in Packers history. It trumps even the Super Bowl victories in Packers ethos.
Former Green Bay Packers players reflect on the Dec. 31, 1967 NFC Championship game - later dubbed the Ice Bowl because of frigid temperatures - 50 years after the team's victory against the Dallas Cowboys at Lambeau Field. Sarah Kloepping/USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin
- First of 180 games, Nov. 2, 1930, when the Lions were the Portsmouth Spartans.
- Packers lead the series 101-72-7.
- Last year: Lions won 31-0 and 31-23.
- This year: Packers won 23-22, and Dec. 29
Notable games: Aaron Rodgers' 61-yard Hail Mary pass to Richard Rodgers on Dec. 3, 2015. It was the last play of the game, giving the Packers a 27-23 victory, and it was the longest Hail Mary in NFL history, a landmark play in the careers of both guys named Rodgers.
Don Hutson scored a team-record 29 points in one quarter on Oct. 7, 1945, during a 57-21 Packers victory.
On Jan. 1, 2012, Matt Flynn passed for a record 480 yards and a record six touchdowns to lead the Packers to a 45-41 victory.
- First of 14 games was Jan. 14, 1968.
- Packers lead the series 9-5-0.
- Last time they played: Packers won 31-20 on Dec. 20, 2015, in Oakland
- This year: Packers won 42-24 on Oct. 20
Notable games: The first time the teams met was in Super Bowl II, which the Packers won 33-14, but for pure emotion, Dec. 22, 2003, tops everything. It was the day after quarterback Brett Favre's father died unexpectedly. Favre chose to play and passed for 399 yards and four touchdowns in a 41-7 victory on Monday Night Football. Even Raiders fan applauded him after the game, which was unheard of.
Also not to be forgotten, the Packers trounced the Raiders 28-0 on Dec. 26, 1993, at Lambeau Field, a game that included Leroy Butler returning an interception for a touchdown and introducing the world to the Lambeau Leap.
On Oct. 20, 2019, Aaron Rodgers had one of the best games of his career, leading the Packers to a 42-24 victory over the Raiders. Rodgers produced a perfect quarterback rating of 158.3, a first in his storied career. He threw five touchdown passes, scored one TD himself and accumulated 429 yards passing with an inexperienced receiving corps.
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
- First of 12 games was Jan. 15, 1967.
- Chiefs lead the series 7-4-1.
- Last time they played: Packers won 38-28 on Sept. 28, 2015, at Lambeau Field
- This year: Oct. 27
Notable game: The Chiefs lead the series, but the Packers won the biggest game, Super Bowl I. It was the game where little-used receiver Max McGee came off the bench, allegedly after a night of partying, and scored two touchdowns in the 35-10 Packers victory.
LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
- First of 11 games was Oct. 12, 1970.
- Packers lead the series 10-1-0.
- Last time they played: Packers won 27-20 on Oct. 18, 2015, at Lambeau Field.
- This year: Nov. 3
Notable game: One that hasn't happened. The Chargers are the only team in the AFC West the Packers haven't played in a Super Bowl.
- First of 15 games on Jan. 1, 1997.
- Packers lead the series 9-6-0.
- Last time they played: The Panthers won 31-24 on Dec. 17, 2017, at Carolina.
- This year: Nov. 10
Notable game: Their first meeting, in the NFC championship game, which the Packers won 30-13. The Panthers head coach was none other than Dom Capers, the Packers' defensive coordinator when they won Super Bowl XLV in 2011 against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
- First of 67 games on Nov. 26, 1950.
- Packers lead the series 36-30-1.
- Last year: Packers won 33-30 on Oct. 15, 2018 at Lambeau Field.
- This year: Nov. 24
Notable games: The Packers and 49ers met in playoff games five times from 1996 to 2003, with Green Bay winning four of them. The playoff win on Jan. 3, 1999, was the only time Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback Steve Young defeated the Packers with either Tampa Bay or San Francisco. The Packers were 13-1 against San Francisco from 1996 to 2010. Colin Kaepernick, on the other hand, beat the Packers three times in four games.
NEW YORK GIANTS
- First of 61 games on Oct. 7, 1928.
- Packers lead series 33-26-2.
- ast time they played: Packers won 38-13 in NFC Wild Card game on Jan. 8, 2017, at Lambeau Field.
- This year: Dec. 1
Notable games: The Packers and Giants have played for five NFL chapionships and one NFC championship. The Packers are 4-2 in those matchups, including a 23-20 overtime loss on Jan. 20, 2008, at Lambeau Field. That was Brett Favre's last game as Packers quarterback and one of the coldest games at Lambeau Field, with a temperature at kickoff of minus-1 and a wind chill of 23 below. That didn't keep Favre from completing a 90-yard touchdown pass to Donald Driver.
- First of 37 games on Nov. 13, 1932, when they were the Boston Braves.
- Packers lead series 20-16-1.
- Last year: Washington won 31-17 on Sept. 23, 2018, at Washington.
- This year: Dec. 8
Notable games: The Packers defeated Washington 48-47 on Monday Night Football on Oct. 17, 1983. Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy was a Washington defensive back. Murphy led the NFL in interceptions in 1983 with nine, but didn't get any in that game. It was the highest-scoring Monday Night game until last year's Rams-Chiefs, 54-51, track meet.
Aaron Rodgers tied Matt Flynn's record 480 yards passing on Sept. 15, 2013, in a 38-20 Packers victory.
Contact Richard Ryman at (920) 431-8342 or email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at @RichRymanPG, on Instagram at @rrymanPG or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/RichardRymanPG/