Kyle Murphy will start at right tackle for injured Bryan Bulaga
GREEN BAY - The Green Bay Packers will attempt to hold off the Seattle Seahawks' outstanding front four without the services of veteran right tackle Bryan Bulaga.
Bulaga, who suffered a right ankle sprain in practice prior to the third pre-season game, practiced on Wednesday and attempted to go Thursday but apparently proved unfit to play. PackersNews.com's Aaron Nagler first reported Saturday night that Bulaga would not be ready to play.
The Packers will fill Bulaga's spot with second-year tackle Kyle Murphy, who filled in for Bulaga in the Denver game and has worked mostly at right tackle in camp. This will be Murphy's first start and most extended playing time of his career.
Last year, he played four snaps from scrimmage.
The Seahawks have typically sent end Cliff Avril at Bulaga in previous meetings and it's possible they'll do the same against Murphy. Avil might be Seattle's best pure pass rusher and has given Bulaga all he can handle in previous meetings.
The absence of Bulaga undoubtedly will make coach Mike McCarthy rethink his offensive game plan, which he worked on during training camp when Bulaga was healthy. He may have to line up a tight end next Murphy most of the game, possibly Martellus Bennett, the best blocker of the bunch.
The Packers also had a couple of other interesting inactives:
- Rookie running back Devante Mays got the nod over fellow rookie Aaron Jones as the No. 3 back behind Ty Montgomery and Jamaal Williams. Mays has been a better special teams player.
- Cornerback Josh Hawkins did not make the cut. The Packers kept five of their seven cornerbacks active.
- Newcomer Quinton Dial had only two practices to get ready and won't be available to back up nose tackle Kenny Clark. Those duties will be split by Mike Daniels, Ricky Jean Francois and Dean Lowry.
- Patrick Lucas will not suit up which means that Justin McCray is the top back up at center and guard.
Here are the Packers' inactives:
- CB Josh Hawkins
- RB Aaron Jones
- CB Lenzy Pipkins
- OL Lucas Patrick
- OL Bryan Bulaga
- DL Montravius Adams
- DL Quinton Dial
The biggest news regarding Seattle's inactives is that running back Thomas Rawls (ankle) will not be active. That means that former Packer Eddie Lacy and rookie Chris Carson will be the Seahawks' top two backs.
Here are Seattle's inactives:
- RB Thomas Rawls (ankle)
- RB J.D. McKissic
- FS Tedric Thompson
- SS Delano Hill (shoulder)
- LB Michael Wilhoite (calf)
- G Jordan Roos
- T Isaiah Battle