Aaron Rodgers inactive for 2nd straight week
GREEN BAY - For the second straight week, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers will be a healthy scratch for a preseason game.
The two-time MVP quarterback was among 13 players inactive for the Packers' game against the Oakland Raiders at Lambeau Field. Receiver Jordy Nelson, cleared from the physically unable to perform list Wednesday, is also inactive.
The Packers will have backup Brett Hundley starting behind center. Hundley, in his first season as top backup, is trying to build off a strong preseason in his rookie year. He missed the Packers preseason opener against the Cleveland Browns with an ankle injury.
Outside linebackers Clay Matthews and Julius Peppers are among the inactive players tonight. Matthews was inactive with an ankle injury last week but has since returned to practice. Peppers is a healthy scratch as well.
With Rodgers, Matthews and Peppers inactive, the Packers will not showcase three top players in their two home preseason games. The Packers will close their preseason schedule with trips to the San Francisco 49ers on Aug. 26, and to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 1.
Here is a look at the Packers full inactive list:
- 12 QB Aaron Rodgers (healthy)
- 26 CB Warren Gatewood (shoulder)
- 42 S Morgan Burnett (back)
- 47 LB Jake Ryan (hamstring)
- 52 LB Clay Matthews (health)
- 56 LB Julius Peppers (healthy)
- 57 C Jacob Flores (knee)
- 60 DT Demetris Anderson (ankle)
- 63 C Corey Linsley (hamstring)
- 72 T Josh James (hamstring)
- 74 G Matt Rotheram (biceps)
- 83 WR Jeff Janis (hand)
- 87 WR Jordy Nelson (recently off PUP)
firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ByRyanWood