Bears LB Danny Trevathan suspended two games for hit on Packers WR Davante Adams
GREEN BAY - The NFL suspended Chicago Bears linebacker Danny Trevathan for two games Saturday for his hit on Green Bay Packers wide receiver Davante Adams in their game Thursday night.
Adams took a hard shot to the head from Trevathan and had to be taken from the field on a stretcher during the third quarter of the Packers' 35-14 victory.
RELATED: Tom Silverstein's Week 4 NFL picks
Trevathan was suspended for violating the NFL's player safety rules. He will be eligible to return to the Bears' roster Oct. 16. Trevathan can appeal the ruling.
Adams was taken to a hospital and evaluated overnight for head and neck injuries but returned home Friday. Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Adams was in the league's concussion protocol..
“He’s home,” McCarthy said Friday. “Had a chance to visit with Davante briefly last night. He’s rambunctious, and ready to move forward. But, yes, he’s home and everything looks good.”
The NFL has suspended players both for one-time incidents and multiple infractions related to personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct.
Among the most recent suspensions for one-time incidents were:
- 5 games (reduced to three upon appeal), Cincinnati linebacker Vontaze Burflict, Aug. 30, 2017 -- Hitting Kansas City Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman in an exhibition game Aug. 19. The NFL ruled Burflict violated rules for hitting a player who was in a defenseless posture and out of the play.
- 1 game, New York wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., Dec. 21, 2015 – Helmet-to-helmet collision with Carolina cornerback Josh Norman.
- 1 game, Denver cornerback Aqib Talib, Nov. 10, 2015 -- Poking Indianapolis tight end Dwayme Allen in the eye.
- 1 game (reduced to $70,000 fine upon appeal), Detroit nose tackle Ndamukong Suh, Dec. 29, 2014 – Stepping on Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ leg.
- 1 game, Detroit center Dominic Raiola, Dec. 22, 2014 – Stomping on the leg of Chicago Bears defensive tackle Ego Ferguson.
- 2 games, Washington safety Brandon Meriweather, Aug. 25, 2014 – Illegal hit on Baltimore wide receiver Torrey Smith.
- 1 game, Indianapolis linebacker Erik Walden, Nov. 18, 2013 – Headbutting Tennessee Titans TE Delanie Walker.
- 2 games (reduced to one upon appeal), safety Brandon Meriweather, Oct. 21, 2013 – Repeated violations of league’s helmet-to-helmet policy.
- 1 game, Houston defensive end Antonio Smith, Aug. 20, 2013 – Removing helmet of Miami guard Richie Incognito and swinging it.
- 1 game, Denver linebacker Joe Mays, Sept. 25, 2012 – Illegal hit on Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub.
- 1 game, Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison, Dec. 13, 2011 – Violent hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy.
- 2 games, Ndamukong Suh, Nov. 29, 2011 – Stomping on Packers center Evan Dietrich-Smith.