Former all-pro safety LeRoy Butler and reporter Tom Silverstein discuss Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Ty Montgomery being traded. Packers News
GREEN BAY -- Less than 24 hours after Ty Montgomery said he had a hard time trusting his teammates and didn’t know his role on the team, the Green Bay Packers alleviated that concern Tuesday by moving the running back to the Baltimore Ravens for a 2020 seventh-round draft pick.
Following a fumble on a kick return late in Sunday’s 29-27 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, an anonymous teammate questioned Montgomery’s intentions for bringing the ball out of the end zone.
On Monday, Montgomery denied purposefully disobeying a directive to down the ball in the end zone, and he denied any frustration over his role in the offense led to that decision. He then wondered about the intent of his anonymous teammate.
“It’s tough for me to trust anyone now,” Montgomery said Monday afternoon. “Guys talking about how they can trust me, it’s tough for me to trust anyone now.”
Drafted as a wide receiver out of Stanford in the third round in 2015, Montgomery has run the ball, caught passes and returned kicks in his 36 career games. He caught 129 passes for 827 yards and three scores, rushed for 849 yards and seven touchdowns and averaged 22.7 yards per kick return.
With the return of Aaron Jones from suspension in Week 3, and Jones’ continued success since, Montgomery’s role on the offense has diminished.
“I don’t fully understand what my role is right now, what I’m supposed to be doing, how I’m supposed to help this team,” Montgomery said Monday.
Montgomery, 25, will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season.
Montgomery was scheduled to host a fundraiser at Lambeau Field on Thursday for his My 10 Percent charity to help teens in foster programs. His representatives say the event is postponed. No new date is set.
The trade also essentially wipes away the 2015 draft class for the Packers:
- First round: Damarious Randall, S – traded to Cleveland on March 9 for DeShone Kizer
- Second round: Quinten Rollins, CB – released with an injury settlement on Sept. 10.
- Third round: Ty Montgomery, WR – traded to Baltimore on Oct. 30.
- Fourth round: Jake Ryan, LB – on Packers injured reserve
- Fifth round: Brett Hundley, QB – traded to Seattle on Aug. 29.
- Sixth round: Aaron Ripkowski, FB – cut by team on Sept. 1.
- Sixth round: Christian Ringo, DE – cut by team in September, 2017.
- Seventh round: Kennard Backman, TE – cut by team August, 2016.