Charlie Berens speaks for Packers fans everywhere with his funny, touching video about missing Lambeau
Wisconsin comedian Charlie Berens hits Green Bay Packers fans where it hurts — an empty Lambeau Field — in his latest video.
You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll want to run out and get a box of Kwik Trip Glazers.
Berens — whose videos and “Manitowoc Minute” segments have helped Wisconsinites find the humor in quarantine kitchen cocktails, Grandma Sue's cranberry sauce, boat launches and deer hunting in a seriously challenging year — tackles no fans at the stadium this season in a "Missing Lambeau" video that’s both hilarious and just a little heartbreaking.
He shows up in his Packers gear outside Lambeau in a parking lot all by himself with the tailgate up, playing cornhole alone and grilling a single sausage.
He pines for the crowded game-day Lambeau he loves by leaving it a voicemail like you would someone who broke your heart and you just can’t get over.
“Hey, it’s me again. I don’t know if you got the last four ... teen messages, but I really miss you,” he says into his phone. “Drove by your place the other day. You know, the lights were on so I hope you don’t mind but I parked in the drive, just like old times.”
He leaves a few of Lambeau’s favorite things at the feet of the Vince Lombardi statue: a Johnsonville sausage, a can of Miller Lite and a Kwik Trip Glazer doughnut. “I actually ran into Vince outside,” he says. “He says you’re doing well, considering.”
He flashes back to the memories they shared, like Berens doing the countdown to “Roll Out the Barrel” during a game. “Remember when we used to have all them people over? Oh, them were the days.”
There are tears, uh, “the sniffles” (but not COVID-19) and a particularly cheeky moment on the Lambeau benches.
The comedic drama is all exaggerated with slow-motion moments and a sad piano soundtrack. It ends humorously, of course, but not with Berens’ signature sign-off of “Go Packers and (expletive) da Bears.”
It’s something a little more poignant written on the screen: “Lambeau, watch out for deer. (That means we love you) Love, Wisconsin.”
On his Instagram, Berens is asking fans who watch the video to leave a comment about what they miss about Lambeau and somebody will be picked to win a Packers football autographed by him.
Here’s a sampling of some of those comments, more than a few from folks who said the video made them cry:
- “Drunken hugs after a touchdown from total strangers who also oddly feel like family.”
- “I miss the chants of ‘Go Pack Go’ during the game. I try and start the chant in my living room, but I get yelled at because the baby is trying to sleep.”
- “It’s the sound of your snow boots dragging down the pavement with a cold Miller Lite.”
- “Staying warm by keeping my knees against fans in front of me and knees behind me by other fans.”
- “I miss the muffled glove claps after a four-yard carry.”
- “The cold air in your lungs on a brisk December Sunday.”
- “Dancing under the scoreboard with my mom.”
- “I miss every single part of Lambeau. Even the line for the women’s bathroom.”
The Green Bay Packers announced earlier this week the team will not allow fans into Lambeau Field for the final two regular season home games of the season.
Contact Kendra Meinert at 920-431-8347 or email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @KendraMeinert.