Sherrod 'solid' in 1st career start, Lang says

Mike Woods
Post-Crescent Media
View Comments
Green Bay Packers right tackle Derek Sherrod during the second half of the game against the New York Jets.

Derek Sherrod didn't find out he had a shot at redemption until just before kickoff Sunday.

Sherrod, the Green Bay Packers' No. 1 draft pick in 2011, had some major struggles at right tackle filling in for the injured Bryan Bulaga in the Sept. 4 opener at Seattle. Bulaga, who tore his MCL in his left knee against the Seahawks, returned to practice this week, and the Packers were hopeful he could return to the starting lineup against the Jets.

But following Saturday's practice, Bulaga was put on the inactive list, allowing Sherrod to make his first NFL start.

"We all have to come prepared to go at any point in time,'' Sherrod said following the Packers' 31-24 victory at Lambeau Field. "So I just had to walk in."

Sherrod was indifferent in assessing his day.

"Ah, it went all right,'' he said. "I'm definitely glad we got the 'W.' We came together as a team and overcame adversity. And we were able to come out with the victory.

"They obviously have a good defensive front. They throw a lot at you, and that's why we all have to be in sync."

Right guard T.J. Lang, from what he could tell, said Sherrod more than held his own.

"I thought he was solid," Lang said. "We didn't have any communication errors. We were on the same page, and I thought he did a solid job.

"Hard to tell as the game goes along; I can't really watch the guy next to me during a play. He's a guy who I think had a good bounce-back game, and he had a lot of confidence going into the game so I think that definitely helped him."

Sherrod was having some problems keeping his man away from quarterback Aaron Rodgers, and it appeared the Packers brought running back Eddie Lacy over to his side to help in the second half.

"I really didn't even notice, to be honest with you," Lang said. "No, we didn't talk about that at halftime."


The Packers' offense got off to an inauspicious start when the center exchange between Corey Linsley and Rodgers was fumbled and recovered by the Jets' Sheldon Richardson at the Packers' 16.

Five plays later, the Jets led 7-0.

"I don't care whose fault it was,'' said Linsley, the rookie out of Ohio State making his second NFL start. "It was a short snap. Whatever the QB says it was, that's what it was. Regardless, it was like, 'Gosh darn it.'

"But I tried to not let it affect me too much. After we got rolling and people starting picking stuff up and making some big plays, you forget all about it and just keep moving.''

View Comments